This is one of those recipes that is so tasty that you’ll need to make extra as everyone will want seconds. You can make a meaty and a veggie version and I encourage you to play with the spice combos to find your personal, perfect taco. If you want to keep it super simple, just buy a readymade taco spice mix in a packet and use that instead.
Taco Filling (makes about 6 tacos):
- 500g mince (beef, pork, turkey,
- 1 medium white onion chopped
in tosmall pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped (or use garlic puree from
- 2 tbsps tomato puree
- 2-3 tbsps soya sauce
- 2-3 tbsps maple syrup
- 1 packet of small tortilla wraps
- 1 gem lettuce
smallbowl of mayonnaise
- 2 limes
smallblock of mature cheddar cheese (grated)
To Cook the Meat:
BUT WAIT… before you start cooking the meat, make the Lime Mayo by adding the juice of half the lime to the mayonnaise in the bowl and add salt and pepper to taste.
- fry the mince in a large frying pan and drain off the fat if necessary
- add the chopped onion and garlic and fry for another 2-3 minutes
- add the smoked paprika (or half a packet of taco mix if you are using that) and let it cook for 1 minute to release the spices
- add the tomato paste, soy sauce and maple syrup and stir through to evenly coat the meat and caramelize a little
- add salt and pepper to taste
The Grand Assembling:
- take a tortilla and lie it flat on a plate
- smear the tortilla with some lime mayo
- lie a lettuce leave on the tortilla to make a little ‘boat’
- fill the lettuce boat with your spicy meat
- squeeze a little lime juice on to the meat
- top with grated cheddar cheese
- wrap ‘n’ roll and enjoy!
- If you like your tacos with a bit of a kick, add 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper to the meat at the same time as the smoked paprika
- If you have some lettuce left over, chop it up and add some chopped pineapple (from a tin) and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. You can add this to your taco as well or have as a side dish.
Camp Quirky – Yay!
I’ll be cooking this recipe at Camp Quirky from 10th May to 13th May. Come and say hello if you are there!
Check out Camp Quirky https://www.quirkycampers.co.uk/campervan-festival/